Hello, my name is Michael. I'm a problem solver with a keen focus on visual and functional aesthetics. I believe modesty is not only an important personal characteristic but imperative for great design solutions. A problem is not solved until the solution is not noticed; rather it simply exists.
Under Armour Austin, TX | – Present
Senior Interaction Designer
• Key contributing member that brought the UA App on iOS — receiving the Apple App Store Editors’ Choice distinction — and Android to market and building out a team to grow and maintain the product.
• Contributed to the initial pilot of ArmourBox. Testing and learning about subscription opportunities for the business.
• Worked on and supported several smaller initiatives like an Endless Aisle app for in-store sales representatives.
Adonit Creative Austin, TX | –
Senior User Experience Designer
As one of the first interaction design team members I had the opportunity to define, design, and user test Forge — named Apple App Store Editors' Choice and February 2015 App of the Month — from the ground up. The majority of my work revolved around feature/product definition, app architecture, user experience, UI visual design, and user testing.
Universal Mind Grand Rapids, MI | –
User Experience Design Specialist
Engaged and worked with clients ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies to design and develop end solutions for users on a variety of digital platforms.
Konnect Studio Grand Rapids, MI |
Worked directly under the creative director of Kendall’s graphic design studio course to develop creative design solutions for clients. Our work ranged from corporate invitations, informational pieces, and event branding/promotion.
Kendall College of Art and Design Grand Rapids, MI | –
BFA, Graphic Design
Received a Bachelors of Fine Arts and was on the Presidents List for my three years at Kendall College of Art and Design. Kendall instilled a solid base of visual design while introducing me to a variety of other disciplines: photography, audio engineering, 3D modeling, traditional printmaking, and more.
Speaking & Workshops
Adobe DPS Workshop AIGA Grand Rapids, MI |
Created and led a one day Digital Publication Workshop for AIGA Grand Rapids. The workshop walked a group of 15 graphic design professionals through the process of creating their first digital publication with InDesign at the center of Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite. At the end of the day all members had a successfully working digital publication on their iPad and an understanding of the capabilities of a digital publication.
Awards & Recognitions
- Apple Editors' Choice Award | UA App 2017
- Apple App Store Best of 2015 | Forge 2015
- Apple App of the Month | Forge 2015
- Apple Editors' Choice Award | Forge 2015
- Apple App of the Month | Bit Timer 2013
- Fast Co. Design Review | Bit Timer 2012
- Gold Student Addy for collateral material | Digital Text Publication 2010
- Kendall College of Art & Design, Presidents List | 2007-2010
- BPA 2nd Place Global Marketing Team | 2007
- BPA 5th Place Graphic Design Promotion | 2007
- CreativeMornings Austin | 2014 - Present
- IxDA | 2010 - Present
- TEDx Grand Rapids | 2011 & 2013
- Windows 8 Workshop | 2012
- Adobe DPS Workshop | 2012
- MidwestUX Conference | 2011
- Smashing Magazine Photography & Video | The Messy Art Of UX Sketching 2011
- Site:Lab ArtPrize Kiosk Committee | 2010 - 2011
- AIGA Member | 2007 - 2010
- Creative Smackdown | 2009
- San Chez Artprize Committee | 2009